Google's SEO Tips For Startups
Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM
If you're starting a new business, or even if you've been around for awhile, it's important to work on your website's Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Maile Ohye, a Developer Programs Tech Lead for Google's Search and Webmaster Tools Team, just released a video discussing some of the key initiatives that any business, not just a startup, should consider.
The video covers many topics in just 10 minutes but some of the key take aways are:
- If you're looking to rank high in a few keywords, try to keep your website under 50 pages so you can remain focused
- What are 301 Redirects and when should you use them
- Using Google's Webmaster Tools for SEO
- Following Webmaster Guidelines
- Directing your audience with useful Call to Actions
- Best Practices
One thing that was really great to hear Maile say is to avoid shady so-called SEO Experts.
"If they guarantee any rankings it is too good to be true."
We always tell our friends and clients to avoid hiring a SEO expert unless they come highly recommended from a friend or colleague.